How Do I Become a Certified Aging in Place (CAPS) Specialist?
Get the technical, business management and customer service skills essential to competing in the fastest-growing segment of the residential remodeling industry, home modifications for the aging-in-place market. Earn NAHB’s Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (CAPS) designation and become the expert in your market.
- Marketing and Communication Strategies for Aging and Accessibility (CAPS I)
- Design/Build Solutions for Aging and Accessibility (CAPS II)
- Business Management for Building Professionals*
* Designation holders exempt from this requirement are CGR, GMR, CGA, CGB, GMB, CGP, Master CGP, CR, CKD, CBD, CMKBD, AIA, Professional ASID, GRI and CCIM. Individuals who have earned an MBA from an accredited university within 10 years of submitting a CAPS graduation application also are exempt, but encouraged to take the course because it focuses on business principles relevant to residential construction.
- Complete and submit the online CAPS graduation application or the print version
- Submit a signed copy of the CAPS code of ethics pledge or agree to the terms electronically
- Remodelers/Contractors are required to submit the following documentation:
◦Proof of liability insurance and workers’ compensation insurance, or be an employee of a company that holds both (where required by local jurisdiction)
◦A valid business license (if state required)
CAPS Graduation Application Fee – Standard – Processed by NAHB
NAHB Member Fee: $75.00
Non-Member Fee: $110.00
Candidates who complete all requirements for the Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (CAPS) designation may apply to earn the CAPS designation. The Standard option provides a downloadable CAPS certificate and access to various designation resources to help you promote and market your CAPS. For more information or inquiries about this product, contact: Crystal Floyd at 800-368-5242 x8148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CAPS Graduation Application Fee – Premium- Processed by NAHB
Date: Available through 2018
NAHB Member Fee: $145.00
Non-Member Fee: $218.00
Candidates who complete all requirements for the Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (CAPS) designation may apply to earn the CAPS designation. The Premium option includes a CAPS plaque, a CAPS lapel pin and other valuable resources to help you market and promote your designation.
For more information or inquiries about this product, contact: Crystal Floyd at 800-368-5242 x8148 or email@example.com
Graduation and Renewal Fees – Processed by NAHB
Premium Option: NAHB will mail you a graduation kit that includes a customized CAPS plaque, lapel pin, ribbon, “Make Your House a Home for a Lifetime” consumer brochures and “Make Your House a Home for a Lifetime” PowerPoint CD.
- $145 member
- $218 non-member
- Standard Option: kit available online only (includes downloadable designation certificate)
- Annual Renewal Fees: PAID TO NAHB
CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Complete 12 hours of continuing education every three years from building industry-related educational activities.
- A maximum of two hours of continuing education can be earned by participating in community service projects, which can include any work done for the public good without compensation.
- CE credits can also be earned through the purchase of a BuilderBooks publication or title (one hour of CE credit for every book, with a maximum of three hours every three years). BuilderBooks titles must be housing industry-related or related to the designation topic area.
For more information about this item, please contact NAHB Professional Designation Help Line at 800-368-5242 x8154 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GO to: http://www.nahb.org/reference_list.aspx?sectionID=686 (link to NAHB)